mission jobs calendar ask questions newsletter links classes articles sitemap


site at a glance
what's new?
sta school
member enrollment
events calendar
meeting directions
STA Shop
current weather
building codes
ny times news
search site
contact us
super questions
ask a question
maintenance jobs
management jobs
sta education services
continuing ed
tip of the month
newsletter archives
one super life
book suggestions
book reviews
helpful links
2009 membership
vendor member list
maintenance links
nyc links
more nyc links
local papers
supers blogs
nyc transit info
conserving resources
real estate
nyc site of the week
helpful numbers
site info
press releases
in the media
your privacy
terms of service
ad rates
building fund
download toolbar
supers' blogs
photo archives
membership form
nyc weather
classified ads
about paypal
for web novices
game room
tools bought/sold
vendor member list
Porters, Handymen, and Doorman, or PHD's Blog

Questions For Supers - 250 to 299


last update on Thursday January 31, 2008 09:48 PM PT


frequently asked questions  ask a question  questions by category

  The information given on these question and answer pages has been carefully checked and is believed to be accurate; however, no responsibility is assumed for inaccuracies. All answers sent in and published on these pages are the sole opinions of the authors and do not represent any legal, medical, or professional advice.

The Supers Technical Association reserves the right to make changes to any and all content without notice, and to edit all questions and answers received for accuracy or clarity, or for any other purpose.

Although the Supers Technical Association believes the content to be accurate, complete, and current, the Supers Technical Association makes no warranty as to its accuracy or completeness of the content. It is your responsibility to verify any information before relying on it. The content of this site may also include technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. From time to time changes will be made, without prior notice, to the content herein.

Do not construe any answers we give as legally binding in any way. We don't practice law and do NOT dispense legal advice.



  Question #299: My property manager has taken a month to replace a broken air conditioner in my apartment (Nassau County). Do I have any recourse in terms of a deduction from my monthly rent? Post your answer

Answer: A month may seem unreasonable, but as long as you were still able to use 100 per cent of your apartment you have no case for any allowances. Pgrech

  Question #298: Is it legal to have a fire exit door inside a bedroom (a door leading to the public hallway)? This is in a Manhattan co-op with 12 residential units, which does not have a fire escape or sprinkler system and therefore is required to have two exits from each apartment. If you know the answer, I would appreciate if you could give me a reference. Post your answer

Answer: Yes. You may find the answer in the New York City Building Code: "Title C, Part II, Chapter One, subchapter six "Means of Egress." Pgrech

  Question #297: I live in a large pre-war building and am concerned about the electric wires within my walls being old and worn. I am consistently blowing fuses and recently saw what lies behind one of the switch plates. It was quite scary looking. My building manager's response has been "you realize the building is old, right". While I do realize that the building is old, at what point does it become necessary to rewire? Post your answer

Answer: At what point do you say its time to replace the wires in the walls? Good question. Your building was built before the explosion of electrical conveniences of modern times. Best advice is to use the wires for what they were designed for, and that is very little load, or call HPD and ask for an inspection. If you request the wiring be changed, then most probably you will be subject to a rent increase.  Pgrech

  Question #296: I live in a large co-op hi-rise, and I want to create a bedroom out of my dining area. I've been told that, because of ventilation laws, I will need to partly use pressurized walls (not permanent) to close off the door to the kitchen. What I'm wondering is: how big does that 'non-permanent' opening really need to be, legally? Can I just use temp materials to cover a 2'x 2' hole, instead of the entire doorway? There is no ventilation system in the kitchen, as the dining area windows are considered acceptable, but once I close off the kitchen door, that wouldn't apply, without a 'temporary' wall. Post your answer

Answer: Sorry I don't really have a solution to your question. Seems that your best move is to seek the advice of an architect. After getting all the facts, they would be able to give you the best choices for solutions that meet the legal requirements. Pgrech

  Question #295: I rent the second floor in a two story, two family house. My landlord lives downstairs. Since I moved in 4 months ago I have asked him repeatedly to install a handrail in the stairway and a cover plate on two electrical outlets which have no faceplates. He promises to do it soon but nothing happens. I'm pretty sure building codes mandate stair handrails and electrical code mandates cover plates. How else should I proceed with him? I have 2 small children who need railings and cover plates. Post your answer

Answer: A two family house DOES NOT come under the Multiple Dwelling Law or the Housing Maintenance Code. Therefore the two items you have listed - although they are a matter of building codes - are not enforceable by HPD or DHCR. So I would buy two cover plates cost of a buck each and put the plate on. It's simple to do. I would also write the landlord putting him on notice that without the handrails he/she will be held personally responsible for any accidents that may happen as a result of his/her negligence by refusing to install a handrail. Keep a copy of the letter for your records. Pgrech

  Question #294: What is the appropriate annual tip for a live-in super in a non-luxury building? Post your answer

Answer: Read the answers to similar questions on the Frequently Asked Questions Page and elsewhere on this website.

  Question #293: I need to know a good school to study so I can get my boilers license in New York. Post your answer

Answer: See the answer to Question #283.

Question #292: I am having severe clogging in my basement sewer line. There are 5 drains in the floor of my basement. If I run water in my tub and drain it, my basement drains overflow, especially the one that's in front of the shower and the drain where my wash machine hose drained into, which is located near the wall next to the yard. I recently hired a plumber to run lines into my upstairs spare room off the kitchen, and I had him move my washer and dryer upstairs. Every since he did this my basement drains clog up and feces and toilet paper and water is all over the floor. Can you tell me what is causing the clogging. Post your answer

Answer: Your problems may have one of two causes: 1. Improper venting of the drains; 2. Major stoppage in the main drains going to the sewer system. Pgrech

Question #291: If you get fired for no reason or you get dismissed without warning, because the company hired somebody that will work for less, what can you do? Post your answer

Answer: You may have recourse by calling the Labor Department. They enforce existing labor laws where there is no union contract. But be warned it may take two years to be heard - if they agree to hear your case. You were hired at will and the owner has the right to hire who he/she wants to hire. Unfair as it seems, that's the system. If you become a member you can place you resume on our website. Pgrech

Answer: There is nothing you can do about it, unless you're a member of the union. Look for another job and move on. Your company may have inadvertently done you a huge favor. Look at the glass as half full and take the opportunity to find a job and employer you really like.

  Question #290: How do you repair a collapsed sewer pipe under a home yourself. My husband & I can not afford $2,500.00 for a plumber to do it. Post your answer

Answer: Don't kid yourself. You can't do this on your own. A competent plumber is exactly who you'll have to hire to do it, unless you can prove it's owned by someone else. Look at it as an investment in your property, bite the bullet and get it done. If you have equity in your home and good credit you should have no problem getting a loan - if you need it - to do the work.

  Question #289: I am 23 years old and I've been a super for 5 years. How can I get a union job without connections? Post your answer

Answer: Are you a member of the Supers Technical Association? If not, start coming to the monthly meetings and introduce yourself to other people like you in the business. You can network very well at the monthly meetings -- let people know what you're looking for and what your needs are. You don't need to be a member to attend the meetings, but there are certain benefits to being a member that you won't have without becoming a member, which will help to give you the connections you're looking for.

And know that becoming a member of an Association like this one (no matter what your age) will help managers realize that you mean business -- that you're serious about being a super, and a good one at that -- and you're willing to learn what you have to learn in order to do so. About learning: We have workshops periodically, where you can get a certificate at the end to show to prospective employers that you have learned a skill and are open to learning more.

Members can also post their resumès on our Resumes Pages. That gets some prospective supers and other building maintenance workers lots of interviews. You can also, after you become a member, add to your resumè that you're a member of the Superintendents Technical Association. That lends credibility to you, and helps people who will interview you to understand that you're doing what you can do to stay up to date with new technologies and ways of doing things, that you're not stagnant but always ready and open to learning new things.

Take a look at the Jobs Pages, they are updated as the jobs come in, nearly every day. Apply for those that interest you, even if you think you don't have a shot at the job. Learn to ask questions during interviews, not just answer them. Ask what they're looking for, and if they can't hire you for the job you'd like to have, can they hire you for a lesser position and when you prove yourself, could they promote you.

Getting a 32BJ job is not what we do, the jobs advertised on our site are union and nonunion, and we don't discriminate.

  Question #288: Are multiple dwelling owners required to provide a stove and refrigerator? Is there any requirement for the replacement of appliances? Post your answer

Answer: There are no requirements under the Housing Maintenance Code of New York City or under the Multiple Dwelling Law of New York State that require the landlord to supply appliances in an apartment. However, that does not mean the landlord is not required to maintain appliances. The key here is: What are the terms of the lease? And is the apartment rent controlled, rent stabilized or decontrolled. See also Question # 264. Pgrech

  Question #287: Is there any requirement for the periodic inspection and maintenance of gas stoves by the owners of multiple dwellings? Post your answer

Answer: There is no place in the Code that states a gas stove needs a periodic inspection by the landlord. However, if you feel uncomfortable with your stove or suspect anything, call the landlord's office or the superintendent and ask for an inspection. It's best to be on the safe side of things. DO NOT call your gas company -- call the super or management. Pgrech

  Question #286: Is there any high limit in heating temperature? Our super overheats the building: even if it is 60F degrees outside, the heating is running and the average temperature is 90F in my apartment. To whom should I complain? Our management does not care. Post your answer

Answer: I do not believe there is an upper limit to heating. Some buildings are not heat balanced well and some apartments must overheat to get the colder ones up to the correct temperature. This, however, wastes energy and money and there are definitely ways to correct this problem. If the management will not do anything, you could pay to install temperature responsive valves in your own unit that will work automatically to reduce the amount of heat in the radiators. However, I would push to get a professional in to do a study to determine if there are system wide solutions to your problem which will provide greater comfort and save the building money. Joe Lambert

Answer: No, there is not a high limit to heat on the books. There are many different ways to attack this problem, some of them depending on your particular building, the heating system in play, even the money available by owner/management for upgrades and repairs. If the super does not care (he/she should), and the management also doesn't care (the landlord and management are paying for this waste and should want to address the problem, especially if asked by a tenant) then there is very little you can do, short of using your own money to find solutions.

  Question #285:  Am I responsible for repainting an apartment when I have moved out? I was responsible for repainting when I moved in. Post your answer

Answer: Painting your apartment on vacating it depends on the terms of your lease. Most normal leases do not require the tenant to paint upon moving out. However, you should leave it in a broom swept condition and in the same color that you found it in. In other words, if the apartment was painted white and you repainted it red or green etc, then you need to repaint it white or run the risk of losing your security deposit. Pgrech

Answer: Generally you're not responsible for repainting your apartment when you move out -- or for normal wear and tear. You ARE generally responsible for items needing repair that go beyond normal wear and tear; read your lease agreement or talk to the managing agent for details.

  Question #284:  What is the furthest span between hangers for  2" / 10 ' acoustical ceiling channel iron in the NYC building code? Post your answer


  Question #283: I need to know where I have to go to get my boiler license in New York, and if there is any fee to get it. Post your answer

Answer: Many refer to the Certificate of Air Pollution Instruction required by NYC Dept. of Environmental Protection of all who tend a #6 oil burner as a "license." You are required to take the course from an authorized teacher and you take the test on the last day of class. Go to, go to the department site, and find out where the course is running and when. Dick Koral

Answer: There is no such thing as a boiler license in NYC. If you are referring to the Certificate of Fitness for #6 oil burner, then first you need to be working in a building that has a #6 boiler. If you do, please refer to the past asked and answered questions on licenses and certificates, as this question comes up a lot. IF you don't have a #6 boiler in your building, you can still take the test but you will not be issued the Certificate of Fitness, or C of F, until you do get a building with one. Then you will need a letter from your employer. Note that you have 12 months after passing the test to get a building with a #6 boiler. Pgrech

  Question #282: Brooklyn has numerous loft spaces being renovated by the tenants themselves without permits and without licensed electricians or plumbers etc. Often the spaces do not meet code when leased initially as (implicitly residential) "lofts." So if the leaseholder who has made these unlicensed improvements shares or sublets the space, who bears responsibility in the case of fire, etc.? Post your answer


   Question #281: I'm trying to take the exam for refrigeration operating engineer. When is it offered, and what book should be studied to be successful on the exam? Post your answer

Answer: Getting a NYC Refrigeration license is not as easy as getting a book on refrigeration and studying for it. First, you have to have over 200 hours of classroom studies at a school. Secondly, you have to have some experience or courses in refrigeration repair and operations. The test is two-part. First is a written test, and secondly there is a onsite oral test. Most people pass the written test but rarely pass the onsite test first go around. More info can be gotten at the FDNY Certificate of Fitness website.

  Question #280: We have an old boiler (maybe 20 years); it burns number 6 oil and I do not have more information but evidently a bearing needs to be replaced. How bad is that and what precisely does it mean? Thank you. Also there is some kind of a problem to do with broken (internal?) pipes and chemicals mixing and a chlorine smell. Post your answer

Answer: You need to have a qualified boiler mechanic take a look at it immediately. Don't delay - a proper diagnosis of the problem can NOT be done via email.

  Question #279: I can't seem to find info on plumbing technical schools in New York City. Can anyone help? Post your answer

Answer: Two places for plumbing: First is the Mechanical Institute in Manhattan. Second, try New York City College of Technology. Pgrech

  Question #278: What is the proper procedure according to NYC regulation in charging a York centrifugal a/c unit, after it has been repaired? Post your answer

Answer: I won't answer this question because only qualified persons with the proper Certificate of Fitness and license can do that work, and if you did have the certificate and license, you wouldn't be asking this question because you would know. Pgrech

  Question #277:  What kind of adapter do I need to join PVC pipe to ABS pipe? Post your answer

Answer: PVC and ABS are basically two different types of plastic pipe. In the past NO HUB or Franko (all Rubber fitting) fittings we used to join both pipes. I recently heard that there is a cement (glue) that can join both together, but I don't know the name. A good plumbing supplier will be able to help you there. Pgrech

  Question #276:  My question is pretty common: money. I am a super in Englewood, NJ in two mid-rise apartment buildings; 98 units total. Rent controlled, 80 years old. I am on call 24/7/365 for emergencies, light pluming, light electrical, landscaping (lawn, bushes, etc), prepping vacated apartments (no painting), renting apartments, cleaning (2 vestibules, 2 white marble staircases, 2 elevators, 8 hallways combination of carpet/vinyl, basements, laundry rooms). In April '04, I got part-time porter to help me with cleaning, etc. I have 20 vacates per year. I have my own tools, cleaning equipment, landscaping equipment, pick-up truck; I have low pressure black seal license. My compensation: Health Ins/One bedroom apt/$20,000. Post your answer

Answer: Actually I don't see a question there. If you are asking are you under compensated, I would have to agree that you are. But remember 24/7 comes with the supers job. It really is up to you to legally make more money. I would first try to negotiate for a raise. If you are a member, ask us, we can help you on this issue. Pgrech

Answer: Sounds like you're under compensated, but this kind of question really can't be answered with any degree of accuracy without much more information.

  Question #275: I bought in a co-op building 2 years ago. We have a common courtyard with a chain link fence around it. I live on the bottom floor and look out on the courtyard but on my side of the fence is a 15x20 slab of concrete that my windows look onto. I left a message with my managing office that I would like to spend my own money fixing it up. I have tastefully cleaned it up. I placed a bench out there. NOW, my super says it is against the law because it is a fire hazard because it is above the parking garage BUT so is the common courtyard that also has benches on it. My question is, are there any regulations or is someone just jealous that I made something nice out of something ugly? Post your answer

Answer: To the best of our knowledge, if the bench is close to the wall and the walkway is NOT fire egress, then  there is NO fire hazard; if the bench is not close to a source of combustion, then again - no fire hazard. Last, if it was a fire hazard, this type of hazard is so low on the list that only a violation to remove would be issued. Pgrech

  Question #274: My father is a Super of 2 buildings in New York City. One of them has more than 30 units and the other one has 20. He lives in the building with 30 units for a rent rate of $1500 per month, but the owner is only paying him $1350 per month. The owner also has my father doing extra work such as painting, dry wall and plumbing without any extra pay for this work beyond the tasks for which he was originally hired. The owner also does not list my father in the books as an employee. My father is not a union member, so I would like to know what are his rights and options as a superintendent in this situation. Post your answer

Answer: I'd be careful about whether or not he could be paid on a 1099. The IRS is pretty strict about this and offers the following guide lines:,,id=110344,00.html

Answer: The landlord is getting a great deal, and your father has few if any rights, and very few options besides looking for and landing another job. He's subject to the agreement made with the landlord. At the very least, for a total of 50 units he should be getting a free apartment in exchange for being on call for emergencies and for taking care of keeping the building clean and taking out the garbage. He should be paid extra for all other work. But again, it doesn't matter what SHOULD be, it matters what agreement they have between them - whether it's in writing or merely an oral agreement. And the landlord can pay him on a 1099, so he's not an employee. His options are to either talk to the landlord and see if he can improve the terms of the agreement, or find another job. With the experience he's picked up, finding another job shouldn't be a problem. Tell him to become a member of this association, whereupon he can post his resume onsite. He WILL get calls from interested parties if he does. If he comes to the monthly meetings, he'll gain useful information and be able to network with other building support personnel, including supers and resident managers, thus finding out about even more jobs besides the ones on this site.

  Question #273: I am looking to purchase several window-mounted air conditioners to use in my Brooklyn apartment. It is a two bedroom that I share with a roommate. We might install as many as three units, one for each bedroom and one for the dining room/kitchen. How do we know the best amount of BTU's to get in relation to the space AND that the electrical wiring will be able to sustain it, given that many of the components of the building were apparently not  completed to code? Post your answer

Answer: First, take the measurements of the room (length, width, height), and determine the BTUs needed. Figure out (you can use the calculator here) the size of the a/c unit you will need for each room (in BTUs). Then you must figure out if the a/c units of the BTU size you need will be supported by the existing electrical system in your apartment, because three units running at the same time may blow your fuses or trip your circuit breakers - if they're on the same circuit with other heavy electric users. If you determine that you can have the three units, get models that have thermostats, this way your unit will turn off at a predetermined temperature. Most important of all, always keep the doors closed, and you can get a fan to circulate the air, that would help also. Also, find information on the EER (energy efficiency rating) for appliances here. Roberto Cardona

  Question #272: I would like to know requirements of the landlord to maintain smoke detectors within each unit as well as in the hallways. I live in a building consisting of 4 units. Post your answer

Answer: To my knowledge, a smoke detector should be installed between the kitchen and each bed room, If the bedrooms are side by side only one smoke detector is needed. If the bedrooms are not side by side, that is, one on each side of the kitchen or thereabouts, then two smoke detectors are needed. (Buying a kitchen fire extinguisher wouldn't be a bad idea -- of course you would have to pay for this). Last but not least, each hallway must have a smoke detector on each floor (in a new or totally renovated building). It's the responsibility of the tenant to maintain the smoke detector if it is NOT on a central system, i.e., it uses batteries, so don't forget that batteries must be checked and keep an extra battery in the house. You didn't mention if you have a gas boiler - if you do, it's a good idea to install a smoke detector and a carbon monoxide detector as well. Roberto Cardona

  Question #271: Does anyone know where I can find the HPD regulation sign for THE KEY TO THE HEATING SIGN IS LOCATED AT...and the SMOKE DETECTOR requirement sign? We have an old HPD violation we are trying to cure. I know we can just have one made up but we are paying to have the city inspector come out and would rather have one that he will pass 100%. I heard there was a hardware store on the west side that carried them, but not sure which one. Post your answer

Answer: Call 212-675-3846, ask for Willie. Tell him that Peter Grech referred you about the two signs. He does not stock them but can get them in a few days. Pgrech

  Question #270: What is the normal length of time a plumber guarantees his work? Post your answer

Answer: Repairs are usually covered for 30 days, unless previously negotiated for a longer time. New installations are usually covered for 60-90 days. Pgrech

  Question #269: I would like to know where do I go in the Bronx to take boiler classes? Someone told me that Hostos Community College offered a course, and I wanted to know if you know of any other place? Post your answer

Answer:  We hold a boiler maintenance workshop in the Bronx. Two of our own members, Peter Grech and Jeff Eichenwald, teach great workshops in November. If you are interested, contact me at for more information. Roberto Cardona

  Question #268: Can a Super's common-law report him from not having a smoke detector in the apartment? Post your answer

Answer: Of course it COULD be done. Why anyone, who is not a vindictive idiot, would WANT to do that to his/her "common-law" may be the real question. I would ask that person, why not just go ahead and install a smoke detector yourself? They're inexpensive and anyone can drive a few screws, no?

  Question #267: In a 50 year old five storey apartment building, what does New York City building code specify as to time on and flow for an interior bathroom vent? Post your answer

Answer: 5 CFM is the minimum standard. The most commonly used test is to take one square of toilet paper and hold it up to the vent. The draw from the vent should be able to hold the paper in position. Pgrech

  Question #266: I just bought an apartment in an 8-unit, fully owner-occupied co-op building in Brooklyn. None of the other owners have dishwashers or washing machines, even though the lease allows it. Since we pay the building's water bill collectively, they've voiced concern that our appliances will raise their bill. We've offered to chip in more, but there's no way to tell how much water we'll really be using. How do other co-ops deal with this? Are there individual water meters we can attach to each apartment? Post your answer

Answer: Dishes have to be washed, whether by hand or by machine. In most cases people let the water run down the drain while washing dishes. Did you KNOW that a dishwasher in many cases uses either the same or LESS water then if down by hand? The only thing a dishwasher uses more of is HOT water. Pgrech

Answer: Engage a plumber to install a water meter on the lines going to the washing machine, if the co-op board agrees. Dick Koral

  Question #265: Is a person required to be bonded to be an apartment manager? Post your answer

Answer: As far as I know there is NO law that requires a managing agent to be bonded. The Building owners however may require it. Pgrech

  Question #264: I am new to New York City from Georgia; the laws are very different here. My question: Is the owner of my apartment required to furnish me with stove and fridge in a rental unit. It is a 3 family building. He says I need to purchase both appliances. Is this true? Post your answer

Answer: I've read the applicable sections in the Multiple Dwelling Law of New York State and the City's Housing Maintenance Code, and I could find nowhere that a landlord MUST provide a stove and a refrigerator to a tenant. Why they wouldn't want to do so is beyond my comprehension, however. To not do so would make an apartment much harder to rent, for starters.

  Question #263: When I watch the home improvement shows on TV, This Old House etc., one thing they often recommend to upgrade steam radiators is the addition of a thermostat to individual radiators. I've been in a lot of over heated apartments but have never seen a thermostat on a radiator. Why is that? Is it just not feasible in a large building or is it not worth the savings in fuel oil? Post your answer

Answer: There are probably several reasons for not having individual thermostats on apartment radiators. Many owners may not know that such a device is even available, having not done the research, or because they're relying on their supers or managing agents, who also may not know or care that radiator thermostatic valves exist. And, if they do know of their existence, that they work as intended and can be installed at a reasonable price. Another reason may be that, in the past, some of these devices have not worked all that well. I have them in my building, and after having been installed 6 or so years ago, they are failing. When they fail, they usually don't work at all,  generally (although not always) blocking all heat from coming into the radiator. The solution agreed upon by management and the heating specialist, although I was against it, was to remove the thermostatic valves (we had and still have some "Dan Foss" brand valves) when they go bad. Just removing them is not a particularly good solution because it gives the owner/tenant no way to turn down the heat when it does get too warm in the apartment - the only instant alternative in most cases being to open the windows. To answer your question from my experience: yes, I think generally it is economically feasible to install these, and yes generally I believe they do save energy, although I cannot give you specifics. The specific answer(s) depends on the equipment already in your building & how good the controls are that are already in place, the predilections of your owner and manager and super, and what kind of cost/benefit ratio is expected.

  Question #262: I am the owner of a newly constructed 3-family house in Harlem. In all three apartments the intercom system makes a screeching noise when you press the talk or listen buttons. Does anybody have any idea as to what the problem might be? Or could refer me to someone who could fix it. Post your answer

Answer: Sounds like you have a grounding problem. We use Jordan Intercom for our repairs, 718-543-5929, ask for Diane. Pgrech

Answer: Call Umbrella Locksmith at 212-744-4499; if they can't help you, they can guide you to someone who can.

  Question #261:  Where or how can I become a doorman ? Post your answer

Answer: Check the ads in the local papers a few times a week, check the ads here on this website at least weekly, and talk to employed doormen, handymen, supers and managers. Come to our monthly meetings and become a member (not necessarily in that order!). Members can post their resumes onsite, and you can network with others in the business at our meetings. You'll hear about some jobs that way. You can also put a "Situation Wanted" ad on our website, but don't depend on just that to find a job - you need to do some legwork and presenting resumes in an effort to get interviews.

  Question #260: 10 years ago I moved into a rent stabilized apartment that someone was subletting. The previous tenant tried to sell me lock and key burglar gates. I declined. When he vacated the apartment they were still there. I have just moved out and the landlord is insisting I pay for removal. The landlord did not perform a walk-through between their tenancy and mine and is charging me for a lot of stuff the previous tenant did. Any Advice? Post your answer

Answer: The landlord has the burden of proof. If they can show no paperwork that a previous walkthrough was done how can they prove you owe them anything? However, if they have your security deposit, you may want to prove your side of the story, and if you can't, the landlord can probably get away with keeping enough to cover removal.

  Question #259: What is the salary range for Resident Manager in a 600 unit Luxury Rental in the New York City Financial district area. Post your answer

Answer: There are too many variables to be specific without much further information. Browse the answers on our Supers & Management page.

  Question #258: I am currently a handyman for a public school in Brooklyn and am interested in working as a super for 32BJ. I have many certifications which can help me qualify. Where do I start? I want to try and get at least one foot in the door. Does anyone know where I can send my resume? Post your answer

Answer:  When you become a member of this Association, you will be able to post your resume, where many employers will see it. When you become a member we can help you with a list of real-estate companies. I would recommend that you also go through the phone listings in a phone book and contact management companies. Or perhaps call the union. You can also find out about jobs by coming to our monthly meetings and networking with others in the business. Pgrech

  Question #257: Is there a professional washing machine installation service somewhere on the Upper West Side - a place where you can pay a fee and expect the plumber to come on the day and time that was agreed upon, install the washing machine properly and make sure that nothing leaks and there is no danger of a plumbing accident in an old, rent-regulated apartment? Post your answer

Answer: In our building we us Alkem Plumbing to install washers. Their phone number is 718 433 2400 Pgrech

  Question #256: What are the required permits for a 6 story apartment building in Queens with a garage, and how often are they to be renewed. Post your answer

Answer: Your question is too vague. Your best bet is to ask a real estate broker in your neighborhood. Pgrech

  Question #255: What would be a minimum salary for a luxury hi-rise rental with 300-plus apartments for an experienced resident manager? Post your answer

Answer: There are no "set" minimum wages for superintendents, and you didn't state if it was in Manhattan or the other boroughs, or if it was union or nonunion. For Manhattan, the average minimum salary for a resident manager for about 300 apartments is around $60,000/year. Pgrech

  Question #254: I would like to be a property manager. I have a B.A. in Management and twenty years experience in construction, and a Certificate of Fitness license. Most schools that offer property management certificates want you to be in the real estate field for five years. Post your answer

Answer: New York University, Baruch, New York Real Estate Institute and New York City Department of Housing Preservation & Development all offer certificates of Property Management, but none requires any experience.

While you do need experience to get IREM's ARM or CPM certificates, or National Association of Home Builders RAM certificate, both do some testing and certification without experience.

  Question #253: I have no experience and I just received my #6 and #1 fuel permit, and low pressure steam license. How can I get my high pressure permit? Where is there a school that will give me a license for New York City. Post your answer

Answer: The high pressure license requires 5 years experience in high pressure plants/boilermaking. That is probably the hardest part of qualifying. The NYC Building Code has the details for stationery engineer. There is also a refrigeration machine operator's license from the NYFD - this has a one year experience requirement or equivalent schooling. Good luck. Anthony Treglia

  Question #252:  I want to become a superintendent. Where can I attend boiler certification classes for free? Post your answer

Answer: Free classes for heating are offered by Local 32B&J for union members; HPD (NYC Housing Preservation & Development) has free classes also. Pgrech

  Question #251: What are the Building Codes relating to the removal of abandoned cables. Post your answer

Answer: Start by checking out the New York City Department of Building's electrical code here.

Answer: No code is found for the removal of phone cables or cable TV cables. Pgrech

  Question #250: I am a painting contractor. What do co-ops require for me to do work? Post your answer

Answer: Requirements for painters will vary from building to building depending on the particular set of co-op/condo rules in place. You will have to contact the super or the manager overseeing the building for the particulars. At a minimum, however, they will require insurance paperwork from you. Many buildings don't ask for much more than that from painting contractors.