mission jobs calendar ask questions newsletter links classes articles sitemap


site at a glance
what's new?
sta school
member enrollment
events calendar
meeting directions
STA Shop
current weather
building codes
ny times news
search site
contact us
super questions
ask a question
maintenance jobs
management jobs
sta education services
continuing ed
tip of the month
newsletter archives
one super life
book suggestions
book reviews
helpful links
2009 membership
vendor member list
maintenance links
nyc links
more nyc links
local papers
supers blogs
nyc transit info
conserving resources
real estate
nyc site of the week
helpful numbers
site info
press releases
in the media
your privacy
terms of service
ad rates
building fund
download toolbar
supers' blogs
photo archives
membership form
nyc weather
classified ads
about paypal
for web novices
game room
tools bought/sold
vendor member list
Porters, Handymen, and Doorman, or PHD's Blog


  Questions For Supers - 1351 to 1450  

"The school of ignorance is the most expensive school but some will learn in no other." -William Shakespeare


questions page navigationgo to most recent question frequently asked questions  ask a question  questions by category

  last update on Tuesday September 13, 2011 09:03 PM PT     January 2008

Fair Use Disclaimer


The information given on these question and answer pages has been carefully checked and is believed to be accurate; however, no responsibility is assumed for inaccuracies. All answers sent in and published on these pages are the sole opinions of the authors and do not represent any legal, medical, or professional advice.

The Supers Technical Association reserves the right to make changes to any and all content without notice, and to edit all questions and answers received for accuracy or clarity, or for any other purpose.

Although the Supers Technical Association believes the content to be accurate, complete, and current, the Supers Technical Association makes no warranty as to its accuracy or completeness of the content. It is your responsibility to verify any information before relying on it. The content of this site may also include technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. From time to time changes will be made, without prior notice, to the content herein.

Do not construe any answers we give as legally binding in any way. We don't practice law and do NOT dispense legal advice.





  Question # 1442:  My fridge freezer stopped working, and then my son got a shock off a cable from a
spotlight which was virtually bare and was touching the condenser at the back of
my fridge. We moved the cable and the fridge is working perfectly now. Would a
live wire touching the condenser tubes cause a short circuit in my fridge???? Post Your Answer

Question # 1441: The pipes in my heater burst and flooded my apartment. The landlord wants me to
pay the maintenance man, including overtime, for clearing out the water. Who is
liable for the damage costs??? Post Your Answer

Question # 1440: Where can I find a code of ethics or conduct that a Superintendent should
follow? Post Your Answer

Question # 1439: Can I use my NYC stationary engineer license for a #6 boiler.  Post Your Answer

Question # 1438:  What's the starting pay for a black seal boiler operator? Post Your Answer

Question # 1437: I am on the board of a coop. We have 48 units and one super. A new board
member wants us to consider not renewing our contract with the Union. I think
it's a bad idea for a variety of reasons. Do you have any insight into the
difficulties etc? Post Your Answer

Question # 1436: In regards to a certificate of fitness (boiler #6) in n.y.c.,I passed the
test, but never paid the $25 fee, (I went directly into another trade), a trade
school sponsored me about 2 years ago. Is it possible to pay the $25 fee, and
obtain the certificate without taking the exam over, (they did originally gives us an
amount of time) is there a time limit? Thanks. Post Your Answer

Question # 1435: How much gas pressure comes into the house from Coned? I live in New Rochelle. Post Your Answer

Question # 1434: What is NYC code regarding balconies.  Are their fines incurred for throwing
objects from balconies and what are those fines?  Is this FDNY or NYPD regulated?
Post Your Answer

Question # 1433: I have been member for several yrs and I am just inquiring as to whether
possibly there may perhaps be any helpful data about the current prevailing
AVERAGE estimated cost of painting an unoccupied vacant ONE BEDROOM apt ( one
coat - no primer involved). Seeking any rough BALL PARK guess about the
approximate costs on painting a std ONE - BEDROOM apt with std bathroom &
Kitchen- Vacant unit- empty and only one coat of latex paint????Any data of
any kind most appreciated. Post Your Answer

Question # 1432: Our multi-unit (100) midtown building has been without a super for the past
three weeks due to former super's resigning and we have no idea when a new super
will be hired. Is this grounds for withholding rent? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment:  No do not hold back the rent but on the other hand what you can try is to gather a few
tenants and request a meeting with the board and express your concerns to them on how much
you wish to see a super on the premises. In a situation like this unity and communication work best.

Question # 1431:  I am a super in a multiple dwelling building I have 86 apartments and 5
commercial store fronts I am a full time super am I required a porter? Post Your Answer

Question # 1430: I live in N.Y., N.Y. I would like to know if there is an office that I can go to
to get a print out of the standpipe/sprinkler system of the building I work in? Post Your Answer

Question # 1429: I live in a 72 apt. dwelling, by law is a superintendent suppose to live in the
building? Or can he just leave a number to call.  Please assist, thank you. Post Your Answer

Question # 1428: What color does the boiler room floor have to be in a multiple dwelling with a
5000 gallon tank?  Post Your Answer

Question # 1427: I own small commercial build. six one bedrooms and one rest. 1st floor. I had plumber install 2 Rennai tankless hot water heaters 2 years ago. I have a lot of problems with it, no hot water often. I was told that it was not installed correctly and even it has 6 years warranty I can not replace them. Could you tell me how to find really good Rennai repair man in my neighborhood. My address is 5 Bleecker street, NYC 10012. Post Your Answer

Question # 1426: I would like to join your association and attend the courses and some meetings.
But do I have to be working in a building now or do I need prior experience too? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Everyone with a genuine interest in housing operation and maintenance is welcome. DKoral

Answer/Comment: STA was formed to help those in this industry. However we do have a few members who are not in the industry, yet like our organization so the answer is yes you can become a member even if you are not in the industry or with any experience. Pgrech

Question # 1425: I work in a building in Long Island City in New York state, and it requires a
boilers license to become the super I was offered the job but I do not know what
kind of boilers license I need???? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: There are only two types of "boiler Licesences". One is the Number 6 heavy oil burner permit (certificate of fitness) which is common. The other one is the high pressure boiler license which is less common. Most likely you are referring to the number 6 certificate of fitness.

Answer/Comment: If you are burning #2 and #4 oil you do not need a license. If you are burning #6 then you need a license. M. Rivera

Question # 1424: Hi I would like to know something about my boiler license in January 2010 this
year I sent my license and a $15 dollar money order to renew my license in February I
moved I changed my address with the post office and still have not received anything
and the money order was cashed. can you please tell me what can I do to receive my
license. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: You will need to go to 9 Metro Tech in Brooklyn where the Fire Prevention unit is head quartered. That is the branch that handles the certificate of fitness. Most likely it was crossed in the mail. Pgrech

Question # 1423: Hello I just became a super of a 67 unit residential building with a staff that consists of 24 hour doorman and one porter. NO handyman. The management is
telling me that union pay for a super is around $23 an hour and this is what they are offering plus free apartment.
I called 32 bj union to verify this and the union said that there is NO established pay scale or an established minimum pay rate for superintendents and
that I need to negotiate my salary with the management. I feel that $23 an hour is a little low considering that a porter makes almost the same money. Building
has central heating and cooling. Am I underpaid? Any comments much appreciated. R.B Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Underpaid or not. The union is correct in their answer. You are about boarder line of normal for that size unit. You didnt state where your location is. If you are in Manhattan you are about $2-3 dollars under the normal. If you are out of Manhattan you are about right for a starting salary.

Question # 1422: In New Jersey, is there a requirement that the superintendent reside on the
premises? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: I am sorry I am not familar with New Jersey codes, so I can not help you. Please if you do find out, let us know so we can know and help the next person who asks this question from NJ. PGrech

Question # 1421: I have double hung windows and a child under ten years of age. Can I install window stoppers instead of exterior bars? If so, is there an installer or a
company that has experience with this type of installation? Thank you. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: You can put window stoppers as you call them but they have to comply with code.
Window fix can install these for you. See their add on our site or newsletter.

Question # 1420: To paint exterior facade of storefront (approximately up to window of second floor), on relatively busy street, is a permit necessary. Majority of work done
with extension pole rest on ladder about 25-30 feet. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: If you do the painting early morning while there are no persons around you don't need a permit. IF you are going to block the side walk for the day, you will need a permit. Pgrech

Question # 1419: I live in the suburbs of NYC living in co-op apartments but I would like to know can the management board be held responsible for the negligence of not replacing
damaged and old apartment mailboxes? what can be done? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Only the post office can declare the boxes a violation. call the post master of your neighborhood and complain about your mail boxes.
they will do the rest.

Question # 1418: I live in a 40 unit building. The Super is using some sort of cooling system for the building all through the year. Heat doesn't come up and sometimes 3xs a
day you'd hear and feel the steam otherwise radiators cold to the touch. This done in times temps below the 40s. I'm on 1st floor and it feels like I have an
air conditioner on during cold periods! Sometimes it's colder in my apartment than outside. In another question referring to a Down blast fan, is this what
it could be? I hear a motor and it's ran almost 24/7 and always after 11pm, heat is cut off completely after 11pm and not turned back on until the next
morning at 6am. Landlords are to keep heat on between Oct. 1 - May 1? Heat isn't sent up until mid or late Oct. when temps dip below 47 degrees and
immediately stopped as soon as the first break in weather. No heat after that point no matter how cold outside. The Landlord probably doesn't know about fan
usage amount, can it be set to less cooling temp? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Down blast fan is used for ventilation. Seams the only issue you have is that your landlord is too cheap to give you good heat or at least heat of some sort. You need to call 311 and file a heat complaint. there are guidelines to when heat needs to be produced and circulated. I guess its too late now, but keep this in mind for this coming winter. Pgrech

Question # 1417: Has anyone had experience converting from #6 oil to #2? Natural Gas with #2 as a
back up? I interested in the cost involved, payback period if any and difficulty. Any vendor recommendations would also be helpful.

Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: To get the proper numbers you are asking about you would need to hire an engineer to do the calculations. To bring in a boiler or heating company to do these for free is a hit and miss thing as they may not give you the proper numbers but only guessing. You can also call con ed or your local gas company and see if they can provide you with the payback etc numbers. Otherwise contact NYSERDA and do a full energy audit - which will only benefit your building.

Question # 1416: I want to make myself bonded to make myself more desirable to potential
employers. How do I personally do this? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: I have no clue - sorry. But if you do find out how, please let me know so i can provide this information to others when asked.

Question # 1415: I am looking at buying an apartment in a brownstone. The back of the apartment looks over the garden. There is a window facing the garden and a window facing
the other brownstone that looks to be less then 30 feet from that brownstone's wall. I am trying to pull the permits from the renovation done in 1982 to see
if it meets the building code. Assuming there is a permit for this work, how do I determine if it is grandfathered?

Answer/Comment: You would need to hire an expediter or an architect to help you with this. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Question # 1414: We've been supering several buildings in Manhattan. Over the years the owner has increased what he considers the duties of a super. Although I would assume that an owner can require whatever they want for their supers to do as a part of supering, this owner has said that he thinks that these things are a normal part of supering (and should be done for free):
1) changing electric wall switches and outlets,
2) changing faucet washers (gaskets),
3) changing door knobs and spindles.

It is not my impression that these things would be considered a normal part of

Answer/Comment: Yes he is right, they are minor repairs and should be included in the duties of a superintendent.
Just what are the duties of a super varies from building to building. It all depends if you are a full timer or part timer. Part timers would consider the above extra.

Question # 1413: Do I need ID to get #6 super license? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment:  Yes. to take the test at the Fire Dept you are going to need two forms of proper ID - one has to have your picture.

Answer/Comment: There is no such thing as a super licenses number six... If you mean the Certificate of Fitness from the Fire Dept of NYC for the operation of Low pressure burners using #6 oil - yes you do need two IDs - one has to have your picture on it. Also you need a letter of recommendation to sit for the exam from either a school or your employer.  Pgrech

Answer/Comment: Yes you need ID to take the test in fact you need ID to enter the metrotech building. ID is required to be carried 24 hours a day in NYC if are stopped by a police officer without ID he can bring you down to the police station until properly identified. RCardona

Question # 1412:  I'm a single mother and interested in either f/p superintendent job. Are there
female superintendents or am I wasting my time in searching? Thank you...Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: yes there are female Superintendents I personally have met them and had them in our org. taking courses sprinkler and standpipes and boiler #6 oil certification courses.  RCardona

Question # 1411: I am interested in obtaining a live-in-building superintendent position in the NYC area...
What liscenses and certificates should I obtain for a better chance at getting the job? Thank You. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: You are required to have 2 certifications 1) standpipe and sprinklers-2) boiler #6 oil and knowledge you may have on plumbing,electrical and carpentry would be a plus. The above certification courses are taught by us (the sta) if interested contact Peter Grech. RCardona

Question # 1410: Do I need ID to get #6 super license? If so, How Many ID's?  Post Your Answer RCardona

Answer/Comment: You must supply a picture ID such as a drivers license or non drivers license.

Question # 1409: I have been super for a "difficult" landlord for more than a year. After hurting my back moving a stove down 6
flights of stairs, I asked them to go easy and give me a few days to heal. I continued doing all my regular work, but they wanted me to demo, renovate and
retile a bathroom. I didn't refuse but wanted to do it the easy way. They said if I couldn't do my job they would find someone else. I still didnt refuse but have
since been terminated and told to vacate my apartment. What are my rights in this case? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Consult a lawyer and tell them you hurt your back while on the job and now you are being fired b/c you asked for time off! you'll have to go down the hard road but I'm sure your landlord will learn a lot in the process! Sam

Question # 1408: I'm a non-union super in NYC. Is it possible to bring the union to my job and how would that benefit me?
Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: You need to contact the union for this question to be properly answered. STA is not a union or do we have any union affiliations. Call Local 32BJ with this kind of question. 212 388 3800.  Pgrech

Question # 1407: Do I need a license to operate a low pressure boiler in NYC?  It's no.2 oil. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: There are three types of "boiler licenses" in NYC.
1. is a low pressure heavy oil (#6) by the NYC Fire Dept, 2. Is for heavy oil (#6) by DEP, 3. Is a High pressure boiler license for boilers that operate at a steam pressure over 15 psi.
#2 oil does not require any operator license.

Question # 1406: How do I obtain a Residential Building (Super) Certificate?  Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: There is no "Residential Building (Super) Certificate" There are a few organizations that have their own certifications.
One being from HPD. Call 311 and ask for the phone number of HPD educational services. I think this is the one you are asking about.

Question # 1405: I recently moved into an apartment where the washer dryer unit abutts the boiler to the point of almost touching. The vent and hooks ups are behind the boiler. I
can't imagine how the boiler can be serviced if need be. Is there a code violation here? who can I contact to find out? - Thanks Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: There is no code preventing this as long as the dryer vent is NOT vented into the chimney of the boiler. As far as service, the dry would be moved to allow servicing if it was in the way then moved back. You can call the Dept of Buildings who would be the agency responsible for this.

Question # 1404: what is the link where I can find the study guide for the nyc oil burning equipment license exam? Is there a study book? I need assistance to study for
this exam. Thanks Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Call information and get the phone number for 9 Metrotech center in Brooklyn or go there in person. They will give you official NYFD study material that will best prepare you for your test, best, Jim. JCoffey

Question # 1403: As per a boiler inspection in one of the buildings I work with, they said a ratings plate was needed for the boiler. Anyone have any idea how I would go about this? It's a Peerless boiler.  Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: You would need a boiler repair company to get you the plate or from the manufacturer. This plate is common on all boilers.

Question # 1402: I was wondering how the banging noise in radiators is created and how can I fix that problem. I work in a building with over 100 apts. and many of them have this problem what is the solution to this problem??? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Firstly, Is it a one or two pipe system? In a one pipe system generally something as simple as an air valve or a bad pitch on the radiator can cause banging. Air valves are rated with a number (size releaf hole) and you should generally replace it with the same number air valve to maintain balance of the system. To fix the pitch problem put a level on top of the radiator and make sure its pitched slightly towards the steam inlet pipe, you can use wood shims under the legs to adjust the pitch. In older buildings floors tend to sag or tilt throwing off the proper pitch of the radiator. Finally, check the inlet valve to make sure its FULL open. Some tenants try to adjust their own heat by tinkering with the inlet valve. On a two pipe system the culprit could be pitch or partial valve closure but more often than not its a trap or trap element. Trap elements are fairly simple to replace. Ideally if you have an infrared temperature gun you can check the temp in and out of the trap to see if its shot. Usually two pipe convectors are wall mounted with metal brackets. You can bend the brackets slightly to adjust pitch or shim them with metal to pitch towards the trap.

A common name for the banging is water hammer. It is caused when condensed steam cannot escape or escape quickly enough and new steam hits it - Bang bang

Answer/Comment: The banging is from water and steam making contact. This is usually caused by thermostatic elements in the traps that require replacement. This element, when it fails, allows steam rather than water to return in the condensate return line. MRuperti

Answer/Comment: Banging radiators is a very common problem. However the solution is not straightforward. The hammer is caused by steam running into water either in the radiator or the piping. It is a system problem and to solve it takes a lot of time looking at how the water and steam flow into and out of each radiator. It also depends on if you have a one pipe or two pipe system. One easy quick thing you can do is reduce your steam pressure, which is a good idea for any steam heating system. Other than than, you need to call in a professional that can identify the causes of the hammer and give you ways to fix it...JLambert

Question # 1401: In New York city, can a Landlord enter a sealed apartment for maintenance? Post Your Answer

Question # 1400: I live in a co-op. The superintendent removed my refrigerator from outside my door apartment to garbage with no notice. (I left it there for 2 days until my
kitchen was fixed). Does the management can disposal my refrigerator without a notice? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: The common area of the building cannot be used for personal storage. It is a fire code violation therefore a violation of your proprietory lease. But, in your defense the Super or the managing agent should have sent you a notification giving you an opportunity to resolve the problem. MRuperti

Answer/Comment: It would have been nice if the super asked who this belongs too, as well it would have been nicer to ask permission to leave it there.
Items left out - are deemed a fire hazard as the block or restrict the escape path. This is a violation and usually is dealt with fast. Also note any left outside your apartment is deemed abandon.

Question # 1399:  I lost my boiler license and want to know how to get a new one.  Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Sadly if your license is expired more than a year you need to retest.
If you just need a copy call 9 Metrotech center in Brooklyn, you might have to go there for the copy. Bring I.D

Answer/Comment: You need to contact the FDNY Fire Prevention unit at 7 metro Tech in Brooklyn. It it is current they can replace if for you for a fee of $5.00.
You need to go in person and take picture id with you.

Question # 1398: I have a certificate of instruction for residual fuel oil burners and
incinerators do I still have to take the p99, or could I have it waved? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment:  If you plan on operating a Number: 6 boiler in NYC you better have the P99 C of F issued by the FDNY.

Question # 1397:  I was wondering if super of the complex is supposed to pay rent. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Depends on the agreement you worked out with the landlord. Some landlords may offer you a reduced rent. If you knew this when the position was offered to you, and if your unhappy now VOTE WITH YOUR FEET!!

Question # 1396: How many inches are allowed between spacing of railings for a two family home?
Not for a deck, the railings are located at the front of the property. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: I dont know what town or county you are in so therefore i cant even think of an answer. You need to contract your local city town or county office for the answer. Sorry. Pgrech

Question # 1395:  Is it mandatory for landlords to install window guards, in Nassau county in houses and/or apartments? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Not sure on the code in you county or city. You need to contact the city for that information. Please let us know the answer so we can have it on file

Question # 1394: What are the requirements, or what studies will Il need to have to get a job as a Building Manager? Post Your Answer

Question # 1393: Which boiler license is the best for superintendent? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: P - 99 from the NYC fire Dept. Pgrech

Question # 1392:  Where can I obtain a Black Seal Operators license in New jersey? What is involved in obtaining this license? How long does it take? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Passaic County Tech Institute.,  or call 973 389 4101.Tell them that we gave you their number. Pgrech

Question # 1391: My boiler mechanic is about to file an inspection for my boiler he had told me the boiler room will need a door and all openings will have to be sealed before
the inspection this is a gas boiler that this is the NYC regulation Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: This is true and it is also a NY Fire Dept code that all doors be sealed and self closing. All holes must be blocked this also includes holes in the walls where the pipes go through. They need to be sealed. Pgrech

Question # 1390: Where can I get basic handyman training for our porter during the day hours? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Most of the handyman get the training from on the job. There are schools but you would need to find out which ones just teach adults. City College of Technology in Brooklyn is a good place to start looking. Pgrech

Question # 1389: Is regular commercial wax a good product to treat granite floor? if not would anyone please let me know what is it and where can I get it? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Granite is supposed to be Hone polished. This means a professional company comes and uses a diamond brush to burn the shine into the granite. It is not as expense (per foot) as you might think. Wax produces do not really work well on granite Pgrech

Question # 1388: Seeking to learn about the typical or ordinary average life span of those clothes dryer vent exhaust booster fans for 60 ft long dryer vent exhausts. In our 2 story multi-family rental property, this booster fan motor for our 2 tandem laundry clothes dryers was connected in late 2001.Is an approximate 8 yr life span for these clothes dryer vent lines booster motor fan devices typical for these helpful devices that expedite the exhaust of lint & debris from clothing dryers. Post Your Answer

Question # 1387: I would like to get information on how to obtain my boiler license. I have recently finished my enlistment in the military and would like to pursue a career as a super in NYC. Anyone with helpful info please e-mail me. Thanks for the help. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Obtaining your boiler license is not that difficult - however It is more important to understand how the system and boiler works. Otherwise it defects the purpose of having a permit. To have a permit because you read a few pages and memorized some points put people in REAL DANGER. Pgrech

Answer/Comment: Our group teaches this course for more information contact Peter Grech at for more information on other courses as well. Good Luck. RCardona 

Answer/Comment: Well first thing you need to do is download and print the study material from the Fire Department website or just copy and paste the following site: and look for the exam # p-99. study it as much as u can and go to the Fire Department in Brooklyn and try to take the test even if you don't have a recommendation letter. give it a try and Good Luck!! FRodriguez

Question # 1386: I am a building tenant and have a small opening gap that goes around one of my bedroom heat pumps (the long tube that heats up a room). When the heat its on, it blows dust and debri from inside the ceiling down to my bed and floors every night. I would like to patch it but don't know with what. I thought of the foam spray bottle but I think it would not resist the high temperature. Maybe cement? It's not a huge gap and don't want to bother the super as I can do it myself. Please, what can I do to patch it up that would resist the heat and will dry up as soon as possible. Thanks. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: The vertical long tube is the steam riser. In older buildings the steam riser is out of the wall and the filling between the concrete ceiling and floor is cinders. This filling falls between the crakes of the steam pipe. Plaster, cement, foam - no matter what you put will not hold not so much due to the heat but due to the movement of the riser.
In the old days a funnel was made and put at the top of the riser. This funnel acted as a catch all. It would move with the riser movement. You can make a funnel and install it or if you have a radiator in that room, just incase the entire riser with a sheet rock column

Answer/Comment: This long pipe is a riser. The riser moves up and down as it contracts and expands with heat movement inside it. This issue you are having is very common in old buildings. No mater what you put, it will move and there for the particles will fall again. The solution is to put a funnel type catch all around the riser at the top that moves with the pipe. Any caulking or cement you put in there will only move in a short time and stuff will still fall out.  Pgrech

Question # 1385: I've recently been employed with a management company as a handyman for 13 5 story buildings in upper question is what is more or less the salary for a handyman for 13 buildings, give or take 150 apartments. I'm busting my a** I have a super and 2 porters but I do 99.9% handyman work in the buildings. The pay is not all so good, and I've got plenty of experience out of state, if someone can please give me the starting salary range more or less I would greatly appreciate it...thank you...union or non union...Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: There is no set starting salary for positions. If this was a union position it would be about $20 per hour. Pgrech

Question # 1384: Apartment building presently has two prong electrical outlets. Tenant wants
landlord to upgrade an electrical outlet to three prong as she is upgrading her computer, etc. Is the landlord responsible for this? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: No, landlord is not responsible for the upgrade. If the tenant requests the upgrade from the landlord, then the landlord is permitted to pass on the expense to the tenant as a rent increase.  Pgrech

Question # 1383: I'm starting from the beginning, what do I need to be a Super in NY? There are
so many exams and classes out there and it's overwhelming-- are there any basics exams I need to take to get started?
Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: You first need is REAL Knowledge and some experience on all building systems and their repair.
Certifications or licenses will only put PEOPLE IN REAL DANGER if you have no idea on what is going on. Being a super is a responsible position where you are responsible for the life, safety, health and security of the residents... just to begin with.

Answer/Comment: Well you would first need your boiler certification and your standpipe and sprinkler certification. We offer both courses so you can pass the exam contact for more information.

Question # 1382: Is it illegal to feed the birds from your apartment building window? The reason I ask is that the tenants on the 3rd floor feed the birds every day waking me in the morning and at night because the seeds dribble down to the first floor banging on the window and the birds come in swarms echoing through the buildings. Before I complain to management I want to know if there is a city code I can reference to make my request strong. I read something online that the seeds can create a rat nesting ground but that is all I have with no facts to support it. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment:                                NO. It is illegal to feed birds in a public area only. Pgrech

Question # 1381: We have a resident manager who claims to have a black seal license in NYC to operate a #6 boiler. Which website or phone number can I call to confirm that he actually got this license? He claims 82462946 is his certification number. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: A Black Seal License is issued in New Jersey after completing their course for boiler certification there. New York FDNY, issues a Certificate of Fitness, once you take and pass the test at their testing facility. John L.

Question # 1380:  Besides 32bj what are any other local unions in NYC for supers and handy men porters etc., and their comparisons?  Post Your Answer

Question # 1379: I am interested in finding out how Coop Apartment value is affected by removing the full-time, live-in super from the building in favor of part-time, off-site support. Can you point me in the direction of a resource that might be able to shed some light? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: I am a broker and managing agent and can express to you that removal of a fulltime super will reduce the onsite service and availability of a person during off hour emergencies. The coop value is relative to its location and service. Unfortunately, you can't predetermine the impact that the market will do on the building. I may also add that a managing agent that provides on site concierge services may help increase the value at a more affordable cost. MRuperti

Question # 1378: I recently discovered that my 2 bedroom apartment is being heated and cooled by a window unit hidden inside a larger unit. Only reason I discovered this is it stopped working. My electric bill is 200./month and I now understand why. Is this legal and do I have any chance of getting them to suck up some of my costs? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: You need to read your lease. Your lease will state who is paying for the heat. Keep in mind your rent may be a little lower then normal to begin with as it makes curtain allowances for heat being paid by the renter. Pgrech

Question # 1377:  Would appreciate it if someone could recommend where to find information on how to clean out a house trap for a 6 story (24 apartments) building. The trap has started to give off a smell. It wasn't doing that during the rainy weeks, but now that there's been a few days of dry weather in a row, it's started smelling. There did seem to have been some sewer leakage into the trap in the past which was never cleaned out. Thanks. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: House traps by the plumbing code need to be cleaned out by a licensed plumber. Electric sewer service is one of the best priced companies around. 718 863 7144 Pgrech

Question # 1376: I am just trying to find out if a Super for a 110 unit, 6 story Multiply Dwelling, in a New York City 100% owned Co-op Building needs to be available 24/7?Thank you for any information you can provide. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: I'm a superintendent of a 127 units and my case is just the same as yours but it is up to you how much you appreciate your job and if you really want your boss and others to be proud of you of how you perform doing your job. My Point is, BE PREPARED for and Emergency call anywhere at any time. I AM!. Just remember that this is one of the jobs requirements. after-all, this is the job that puts food on your table. FRodriguez

Answer/Comment: Yes you must be available that is your responsibility to the position. However if you are away you should leave a number where you can be reached in case of an emergency. RCardona

Answer/Comment: This has always been a tough question. Law does not state 24 hr coverage but super must live in building or with in 200 feet. Super must be able to be contacted on "off days" for emergency. Now just what is an emergency... that has to be defined. Pgrech

Question # 1375: What books would you recommend to get to study for stationary engineers license in NYC. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: First of all to become a stationary engineer you need 2 years of class room, 4 years of experience with high pressure boilers, lastly you would need 3 written reference letters from three licensed Stationary engineers. Books on the subject are: High pressure boilers by Frederick M Steingress and Harold J. Frost. This book is a good beginning, read it and then ask for the next book. Pgrech

Question # 1374: Does anyone know if air conditioners can be placed at the top of a stairwell? I have two stairwells that get very hot in the summer time. At the top are windows with air louvers above them for ventilation. Can AC units be installed there? I can't seem to get an answer from DOB. Is it legal? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: As long as the ac units DO NOT block any egress or narrow the egress, then you can put the ac in.

Question # 1373: My boss paid me $300 a month for being her super in a 36 unit building. I have no health insurance or anything. I am a part time super can she do this - is there a small union that I can go to in New Jersey, because New York does not have a small building union.  Local 32b will not take the building, they said I have look for a small union that will. Can you help? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Yes she/he can. you are what is termed "Hire at will". Health benefits are not mandatory at the moment. As far as I know there is no union for small buildings in NY or NJ. Pgrech

Question # 1372: The superintendent of the building I live in passed away in June. He was our Superintendent for forty years. The handyman has been doing his job as well as covering the Superintendent's position. The tenants petitioned to have the handyman as the new Superintendent but the landlord wanted to give him a basement apartment rather than the one the previous Supt. had. Unfortunately the handyman declined the position because his family was not going to fit in the basement apartment which was the size of a studio. How long do the landlords have to hire a new Superintendent for the building? Is it a violation of any kind not to have a Superintendent on the premises? The building is on the west
side and has 90 apartments. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: NYC and State laws are clear. There must be a janitor leaving on the premise or with in 200 of the premise. Having no superintendent (janitor) is a violation of state and city codes. You can call 311 and file a complaint. Pgrech

Question # 1371: Is there a law or code in NYC that states the doorman must have a key to my Condominium apartment in case of an emergency? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: No there is no law. How ever your lease may read that the landlord and or his agent (usually the super) require a key for emergency access. This applies to coops and condos under the property lease. This is enforceable in court as it has been in the past. Pgrech

Answer/Comment: No their isn't but many buildings request that you do so in case of an emergency such as a fire, flood or gas leak should occur while you are at work or out of town, Or if you by chance you should lose your keys it would save you money calling a locksmith. RCardona

Question # 1370: Is it illegal in New Jersey for a landlord to not visit his tenants and leave any problems to be dealt with by the supers? I was told this by one of the tenants who were wondering why they've never seen the owner of the building and I just want to check how true this was. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: While I am not versed in NJ laws, in NYC and NYS there is no law that states the landlord must visit his buildings, or laws that state that tenants should ever meet the owner of the building. The super acts on behalf of the owner. As long as problems are attended to in a reasonable time and fashion, there is no issue/problem. I doubt very much if NJ has a law the requires a owner to meet or visit the building, as long as they have a representative (super). Pgrech

Question # 1369: I own a commercial building. I rented out the top floor to a day care center. The kids are always going to the top of the roof. will I be allowed to put a lock on the gate? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: No you cannot because the roof is an emergency exit in case of fire. you can place a camera on the roof and monitor the roof. i would also offer inform the management and have a letter sent to the people in charge of the day-care center and inform them to monitor the children more closely. Please understand that if anything should happen to one of those children charges will be placed against them by not only the police but child services as well. Keep a copy of the letter you send them in your personal file cabinet. RCardona

Question # 1368: I am a property manager. Does the Superintendent's club offer courses in reading financial statements, how to create a budget from scratch etc. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Currently no. We are working on a class for 2010. Pgrech

Question # 1367:  Is it legal to only have a shower in a one-bathroom apartment in NYC? If not, what is the smallest legal bathtub? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Robert there is no Code requirement of a bath tub. There must be at least one FULL bath room in an apartment. Full bath room meaning - toilet, sink and EITHER tub or shower. What is confusing is the term bath room. In the old days baths were more popular but there is NO CODE that says you have to have a tub.

Question # 1366: What is the right thing to do when you must change out a condenser or evaporator in regards to using 410-A or R-22 systems. As we all know they will no longer manufacture R-22 systems after 2010 and the price for R-22 is going to sky rocket over the next few yrs. Should we buy new gauges, reclaimers and reclaim tanks now, and convert to 410-A or should we continue to purchase R-22 condensers and gamble on the availability? Replacement parts such as compressors and motors are going to be available but for how long. What do you suggest? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: R-22 is being phased out as we speak and you would be wise to make the necessary changes because it will save you time and money in the future. RCardona

Question # 1365: My landlord has never filed for work permits and uses an unlicensed contractor. Walls are being broken down in units and now I have a large ceiling crack where a wall used to be. I'm afraid my apt is unsafe. How do I schedule an inspector to come and see if it is structurally sound? Many other units were similarly renovated with no permits and walls torn down. What are the next steps I should take as my landlord refuses to see any problem! Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Call 311 and ask to be connected to HPD for housing complaints. Pgrech

Question # 1364: Our 150 unit co-op building has had a no-dog policy for over five years. However, we have a few dogs who were "grandfathered" into the building before the policy went into effect. Recently, tenants have decided to bring dogs into the building despite the policy. I am aware of the pets laws in NYC. However, short of siccing our lawyer on every tenant we see with a dog in the building, do you know of any other methods that buildings employ to enforce a no-dog policy? Do they do a dog registry or have special collars? How do you keep people from "sneaking" them in? Thank you. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: First of all, if you have a doorman and or just a super they must report any new dog in the building. If tenants, owners bring in new pets and the staff do see them but do not report them to management, after 30 days it can be said that the dog law was waived as the staff acted on behalf of the building. Lawyer letters are the only way.
then Court.

Question # 1363: I would like to know when your next classes will be for standpipe system.  I need to send my new super to some classes.  Thank you. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment:  September 10th. go to the class section. New dates have been posted. Pgrech

Question # 1362:  I live on the 3rd floor of a 3 family house. Is the landlord by law responsible for putting the trash cans on the curb for garbage pick up? He asks me to do it, because I have more garbage then the other 2 tenants. Defies logic, I have 3 children and rent a larger apt than the others. Why should I take their garbage out too. Can he ask me that in the first place? It's his responsibility isn't it? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Well he can ask and you can decline or not. You don't have too do it. I would ask him for a rent reduction for doing him this favor. Pgrech

Question # 1361: Granting that individual coops have different rules, is it reasonable for a super to be awakened [no doorman on 11PM- 8:AM] to provide keys to the building and/ or apartment? True-emergencies expected, and repeat-offenders noted, should residents be informed that carrying their keys from airports, dates, jogging, etc., is their responsibility and not to wake the super except in a case of medical, fire, flood, etc.? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: what you say is NOT unreasonable. It is how you "train" your tenants from day one. You need to speak to the owner and the manager about this. Lock out once in a while is something that happens. but there are those repeat offenders that should pay for it. Pgrech

Question # 1360: I have a New Jersey blue seal high pressure steam license, how do I go about
getting a New York State high pressure license? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: High pressure NYS license requires 3 years experience with high pressure, 3 written and confirmed recommendation letters from three separate stationary engineers and you need 200 plus hours of classes as well as passing a NYS test. Pgrech

Question # 1359: Can super work in condo bldg without license? What's the procedure if there was a written compliant lodged with management against super since no action was taken? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Not sure what license you are referring to. Different building may require different types of certifications and licenses. Some buildings may require the same. If you filed a complaint with management, then management is supposed to handle it. If you are unsatisfied then call 311 and ask to speak to HPD complaint dept.

Question # 1358: My supers husband helps her with her work should It also cover him under workers comp?
They both live on premises and he has work comp coverage at his full time job. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: No. Your building workers comp covers employees. Unless you pay him, then he is not covered. He is covered under his own job workers comp but only for injuries on HIS job not on his wife's job. You insurance company would cover him though. Check you insurance policy. Pgrech

Question # 1357:  I am on the board of a 65 unity building in Queens. The long time live in super is retiring. Do we have to hire a union super? what are the ramifications? Will the union fight this and do we have a contract with the super or does the building have a contract with the union? Thanks. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment:  The union contract is with the coop. The staff that you hire do not need to be union members. In any case, the new hire for the Super's position will probably have, depending on the contract, a probationary period no matter if he/she is union or not. MRuperti

Question # 1356: I have a Coop in NYC. The management company that takes care of the building has a NYC phone # but their office is in Long Island. Any time I call for a problem I have to live a message but no one calls .I have to call several times. Can a management company be in Long Island and manage in NYC? What is the law? Thank you. Post Your Answer

Question # 1355: I recently started supering a building in the east village. The building has a
tree growing right next to the back wall. I assume that the roots of the tree, (it's grown to around 60 feet) have
disturbed the foundation of the back wall. Besides cutting down the tree, I was wondering what needs to be done to remove the roots and to repair the foundation?  Post Your Answer

Question # 1354: I was a super of 13 buildings,3 weeks ago I was complimented by the property manager for the good work, today I got terminated without any letter or notice, I live in the basement in an apt I built. They told me they'd give me a months pay then I leave, I didn't agree. Can they throw me out that easily? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: This is complicated as no two court decisions are the same due to different circumstances.
In the most case, if you refuse to leave, by the 30 days, then you become a "tenant" but no lease. They will have to take to you Tenant Landlord court and try to get an eviction. You may get money by the court, BUT then you owe rent and watch out, cause you may end up getting nothing and owing rent... depending on how much they claim as reasonable rent for the super's apartment.

Question # 1353: We have an apartment that has a radio plugged into an outlet in the bedroom and is on playing all the time. When any switch or dimmer anywhere in the apartment is used, there is interference on the radio. The tenant purchased a new radio thinking it was due to the old one. However, it is still happening. Thoughts? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: If the apartment is very old and the wiring is not armored (like the current BX cable) you might have a magnetic interference. When a switch is turned on electrons start flowing in the wire, which interferes with the radio's frequency. Replacing wires throughout the apartment might be costly, but try getting a radio which is Magnetically shielded, my suggestions would be Bose Wave, b/c most of other brands are simply cheap Chinese crap! Good luck Sam

Answer/Comment: this question is better asked of an attorney. However, what defines a guest is that the guest does not receive mail, and does have an apartment elsewhere. There is no law against having a girl or boy friend spend the night or two or three. This is something the room mates have to work out. Pgrech

Question # 1352: I've been working with a company as a super. I take care of 15 buildings 20 units each. apart my salary they paid me for paint jobs and I had many side jobs like installing air conditions etc., now a new company took over and they want me to paint for free and they took away all my side jobs. I cant even make 20 for an AC. is it ok that they do that? Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: Continue to work the way they want you to work. If they want you to paint for free, do so, during your regular shift, work like a snail and let vacancies pile up, if the management wants you to complete jobs faster, always complain that you have garbage and other cleaning jobs throughout the buildings and you are trying to do your best. Longer you hold vacancies, greater the loss for them, if that doesn't get through their thick heads,
I don't know what will!! Good luck

Answer/Comment:  It is hard to answer this question. You are hired at will, the now the new owners have expanded
your job description. It is Fair? NO. Is it legal? I think it is. Best advice from me is to cooperate and try to negotiate more money. I would also begin to look for a better job.
seems to me they want you to leave. They are sending you a message. Pgrech

Question # 1351: I live in a duplex with my boyfriend, his best friend, and his best friend's girlfriend. His girlfriend is not on the lease and I have already reported her and the landlord has made it clear she needs to move. She has, however, told us that even though she's moving out all her stuff, she will be staying the night here several days out of the week and we can't do anything about it because her boyfriend is on the lease and she is considered a guest. Post Your Answer

Answer/Comment: She is considered a guest, as long as she doesn't bring her stuff into the apartment and doesn't receive any mail, but remember, as long as the lease holders are okay with her, you'll just have to deal with her! it's not a simple case, b/c her boyfriend is also on the lease. You could complain as much as you want, it only matters when the lease holders have a problem with her! Sam

Question # 1351A: Is this true? How many days/nights can she stay before being considered a resident and a violation of the lease? Is there anything we can do about her coming over or are they within their legal rights? Post Your Answer